Episode 39: When Should You Teach Foreign Language and Why?
Expand your child’s horizons without stepping out of your front door! Introducing a foreign language into your homeschool opens up a new world of opportunity. In Episode 39 of the Hey, Mama! Homeschool Show: When Should You Teach Foreign Language and Why? Christine and Stephanie explain how you can get started today.
Connect with The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine
For more on today’s topic, click on the links to these articles from The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine:
- “Three Reasons to Teach Your Child a Second Language . . . or Third!”
- “Why Study Latin as a Foreign Language?”
- “Learning Foreign Language for Life: An Interview with Natalie Standridge”
- “10 Ways to Teach a Foreign Language to Your Child”
Connect with The Old Schoolhouse®
Check out foreign language resources mentioned in this episode, such as Whistlefritz, Greek ‘n’ Stuff, JAM with Latin, and Flip Flop Spanish in Spotlight: Learning a Foreign Language.
Also mentioned in this episode:
- Teaching French Immersed in Quebec by Janet LoSole
- Adventure by Chicken Bus by Janet LoSole
- World Watch News
Connect with the TOS App
Hello, autumn, and hello to the TOS App. That’s where you’ll find the Fall issue of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, along with dozens of timeless, searchable back issues. Put it in your pocket for quick reads on the go. Topics this fall: teaching writing, grammar, and spelling; growing and canning food; homeschool dads; science; heritage; and college. More for your homeschool: HomeschoolApp.com. Or, if you’re on your computer, go to our Digital Magazine Library. It’s one more place to find the latest issue of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, and it’s free here, too. New issues every quarter. Scroll all fall for all things homeschool!
Connect with SchoolhouseTeachers.com
How can you make the world a bit smaller? Learn a foreign language. When we know another language besides our own, it’s like bringing part of the world within our reach—the people, the culture, the places. Why settle for one tiny corner of the world when so much can be learned about the rest of it? SchoolhouseTeachers.com courses include Spanish, French, Latvian, Korean, Latin, ESL, and ASL. See which foreign language courses SchoolhouseTeachers.com offers.
Connect with The Homeschool Minute
Spend a minute with your friends from The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine! The Homeschool Minute is a weekly eNewsletter for anyone homeschooling or considering starting. It’s brief yet packed with a powerful dose of encouragement to keep you going strong in your commitment to your family and to the Lord. Subscribe to the free homeschool newsletter.
Connect with Upcoming Episodes
New episodes of the Hey, Mama! Homeschool Show are released every Monday. Check back right here for show notes and links at HomeschoolShow.com. Here’s what you can look forward to next:
- 10/30/23: Episode 40—“Meal Planning” hosted by Stephanie Morrison of The Old Schoolhouse® and Christine Weller of SchoolhouseTeachers.com
- 11/6/23: Episode 41—“Does Anyone but Me Care about This Chaos?” hosted by Deborah Wuehler of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine
- 11/13/23: Episode 42—“What If My Reader Is Delayed?” hosted by Stephanie Morrison of The Old Schoolhouse®
Questions or comments on the Hey, Mama! Homeschool Show podcast? We’d love to hear from you at HomeschoolShow@TheOldSchoolhouse.com.