The Old Schoolhouse® Product & Curriculum Reviews
|With so many products available we often need a little help in making our curriculum choices. The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine family understands because we are in the same boat! Do you need more information on a product before you buy? With over 5,500 products listed in 52 easy-to-use categories, much of the information you need to know is only a click away! Let our reviewer-families help yours.||
Do you want to get the word out about your product or service to the homeschool community? Email Tess Hamre and share a little about what you´d like showcased, and we can help with that!
Memorize Galatians Review by Lori HootenKimberly Garcia
P O Box 7868
Beaumont, TX 77726
One verse at a time. That is how we worked on memorizing scripture last year when our oldest daughter was trying to memorize 100 scriptures. When she hit the bottom of the list she had written out, at about 60 scriptures, she lost momentum. 60 scriptures is no small feat but I think she can do all 100 this year thanks to Memorize Galatians. Brookdale House has a neat product that helps students, young and old alike, memorize scripture in larger chunks. Our oldest has been using Memorize Galatians, by Kimberly D. Garcia, for about five weeks now and she has the first chapter memorized. I think this product that will make 100 verses a reachable goal this year.
Memorize Galatians breaks the scripture into smaller pieces and works on them one section at a time, adding to it with each new lesson. Each weekly set of lessons includes somewhere around five new verses. The weekly lessons are broken into five daily pieces that help the student work through it in small, bite-sized pieces that take between 5 and 10 minutes.
The format is the same each week.
- Day 1 – Get familiar with the scriptures by reading the section of verses multiple times and then copying it.
- Day 2 – Work through the scriptures for the week by completing the printed passage with approximately 25% of the words omitted.
- Day 3 – Read the passage and study it. The instructions for Day 3 help the student dig into the Word of God and really think about key words in the passage. Then, it is read and written out again. Then, it is completed once by filling in missing blanks in the printed passage with more of the words omitted.
- Day 4 – Using keywords chosen on a previous day, the student reads and copies the passage. After that, the student completes the printed passage from memory where most of the passage words are omitted.
- Day 5 – Review the passage. Recite it from memory. Write it from memory. Go back to the beginning and add the new verses to all of the verses you have memorized prior to this week.
This process is a highly flexible one and in the information, it is stated that the purpose is not to be a slave to the process or procedure. Rather, all time spent with the Word of God is of value and so this is to encourage time spent in the Word. If the speed of the memorization tool is too fast, slow it down. If it is too slow, speed it up. There are guides on where to make changes to maintain the continuity of the process but you are highly encouraged to do what works for you.
Brookdale House is a company publishing educational materials designed to challenge children to excel. While their materials are mainly used in home school and private school settings, the materials are gentle, thorough, and teach multiple objectives. With a variety of subjects to choose from, Brookdale House offers an efficient curriculum option.
Memorize Galatians has been a joy to see our daughter working through. She is enjoying learning scripture and the process is gentle. This is a low stress option for covering a large amount of material. We have the e-book version which includes almost 300 pages; there is also a print book option. We are printing out one chapter of memory work at a time. When she finishes the 300 pages, she will have memorized the entire book of Galatians! Meeting her goal of at least 100 verses and spending time in the Word of God seems like an entirely reachable goal because of Memorize Galatians from Brookdale House.
—Product review by Lori Hooten, The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, LLC, April, 2016