Writer’s Guidelines and Upcoming Themes
Thank you for your interest in writing for The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine (TOS), a publication of The Old Schoolhouse®, LLC. TOS is available, worldwide, in an open-access format via online browser (http://TOSMagazine.com), via our free apps (http://TOSApps.com), and biannual print magazines for Summer and Winter. As the trade magazine for homeschooling, TOS has acquired a valued reputation as the quarterly (125-150 page) publication homeschoolers can trust. Please query us with a well-structured article proposal that includes a catchy lead, a summary of the article (including approximate length and sidebar ideas), and appropriate details. Links to clips and portfolios are of assistance as well. Here are some helpful tips for success (How to write successfully for TOS).
All queries and other submissions are subject to the Terms of Submission posted on our website. Queries should be submitted electronically using the forms provided on our website. Queries submitted to TOS should be written specifically for our publication. Your article must be an original article that has not been previously published elsewhere, including on your blog or website. As compensation, contributing authors will receive $50. Maximum word count per article is 800. Your article cannot promote or sell any product. You must write about your expertise, not your product. Your biography, which will be placed beneath your article, free of charge, may promote your product, website, book, etc. With our interactive digital format, readers will have instant access to your company/website/blog, via hyperlinks. You are welcome to purchase an ad that promotes your company/resources; to learn more about advertising opportunities, please contact our Advertising Department at email@example.com.
Below is a list of the themes and special features for each 2018 issue of The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine. If you would like to contribute an article about any of these topics, or if you would like to suggest additional topics that you would like to write about, please use the Query Submission button at the bottom of this page to share your ideas with the TOS editorial staff.
Upcoming Magazine Themes
• Theme: Language Arts: Reading Comprehension
• Theme: Outdoor Science Made Fun
• Theme: Special Needs
• Theme: Foreign Language
• Theme: Science: Creationism
• Theme: HisStory: The History of Nature Studies/Outdoor Education
• Theme: Organization
• Theme: Homeschooling When Parents Work Outside the Home
• Theme: Travel
Feature Articles: When Do I Start Teaching Math?
Publishing: July 1st
Deadline: April 15th
• Theme: Language Arts: Grammar
• Theme: Science: Geology
• Theme: Hands-on Math
• Theme: Gifted Students
• Theme: NASA & Careers in Flight
• Theme: HisStory: American Folklore
• Theme: Homesteading/Off Grid
• Theme: Writing
Feature Articles: The Truth about Common Core
Publishing: September 1st
Deadline: June 30th
• Theme: Language Arts: Literature
• Theme: Science: Physics and Chemistry
• Theme: High School Math/Prep for College
• Theme: Identifying the Special Needs Student
• Theme: Foreign Language
• Theme: Frugal Moms (freezer and low-priced meals, bulk cooking), Holidays, Last-minute Gifts
• Theme: HisStory: Thanksgiving History (Is open to a lot.)
• Theme: Technology: Augmented Reality
• Theme: Art and Music
Feature Articles: STEM & STEAM: What’s All the Fuss?
Publishing: December 1
Deadline: September 30th
• Theme: Language Arts: Spelling
• Theme: Teaching Elementary-Ages Math
• Theme: What’s an Unschooler? Delight-Directed Learning
• Theme: Special Needs: Autism Spectrum
• Theme: HisStory: Inventions Throughout History
• Theme: Teaching Preschoolers
• Theme: High Schoolers & Record Keeping
• Theme: Time Management & Getting Organized
• Theme: Beating the Winter Blues
Feature Articles: The Troubling History of Public School Education
We will acknowledge receipt of your query within 45 days and decide to accept or decline the proposed article as quickly as possible. The review process normally takes between four and six weeks but may take longer at times. Our editors will contact you if we decide to accept a queried article. Publication of accepted materials may take from three months to more than a year, based on our needs and publication schedule. Terms of publication vary based on article length and content. At TOS, we slate authors’ works for future issues far in advance of the publishing date. Therefore, if you are interested in submitting a query, please do so immediately, so that it may be carefully reviewed and considered prior to upcoming submission deadlines. Click here to submit a query.
Thank you for your interest, and the Production staff at The Old Schoolhouse® looks forward to reading your query!