A Moment with The Homeschool Minute ~ Mercy Every Minute – Deborah Wuehler, TOS Senior Editor
Click on the banner below to sign up for the Homeschool Minute E-Newsletter, and receive weekly encouragement to guide you along your homeschooling journey.
Foreign Language!? Foreign language is all Greek to me. Kind of scary territory for homeschoolers sometimes. Not because we are incapable of teaching it, but because there are so many choices, aren’t there? That’s where prayer and research comes in.
I did a search on The Old Schoolhouse Magazine for “foreign language” and over 130 results came up! As I looked through them, I got an overall view of several important reasons for teaching foreign language. Here are some of the subjects that were brought to light in the articles that came up:
- Foreign missionaries (your child may someday be one)
- Foreign exchange students (you may host one or your child may be one)
- Military assignments in foreign countries (your family or your child may join the military)
- Sign Language counts as a foreign language (My son began learning ASL at 9 years old and is now pursuing his BA in Deaf studies)
- The importance of Hebrew and Greek (excellent for Biblical studies!)
- The study of Latin (helps with root words, meanings, spelling, and all language learning)
- As a requirement for high school (many states require two years of a foreign language)
- Being bilingual is a plus for gaining employment worldwide
- Babies and young children pick up languages easily
- A child’s brain gains great strides when learning a language
- International adoption is a good reason to learn another language
There are a lot of curriculum choices to review and pray about. We have a product review section on foreign language products–found here to help with decision making.
There are multiple values to learning a foreign language in today’s world. You just never know where God will lead you or your child. The possibilities are endless!
“The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night shows knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.” Psalm 19:1-3 (NKJV)
Happy “Foreign Language” trails to you!
P.S. What does a day in the life your homeschool look like? We are looking for more families to highlight in our Show and Tell column in the magazine. Here is an example of what we are looking for. If you are interested in helping us, contact Heather at firstname.lastname@example.org
Spanish Clicks offers K-12 online Spanish with interactive instruction. 4 years of high school Spanish with transcripts. Enroll with Spanish Clicks today and it won’t be long before you say, ʺI get it now! Spanish clicks!ʺ
HwH Blog Categories
- Molly Green Magazine: Organization for Busy Families $2.50$4.95
- Molly Green Magazine: Molly Saves on the Go $2.50$4.95
- WannaBe™-When I Grow Up I Want to be an Artist $8.95
- Curiosity Files: The Series $39$125.10