American Heroes #3 is the third in a series of music
CDs about some of the greatest citizens to ever live in the United
States. With a folksy, pop-rock flair, the songs easily grab the
attention of children while teaching them about the lives of each
of the heroes.
It's obvious that the singer/songwriter, Jon Sprout, has spent
much time researching each of the subjects he sings about. That
research becomes a brief biography in the form of a catchy tune.
Learning biographies has never been easier! The CD jacket includes
lyrics for each of the songs as well as a short bit of background
about each of the heroes.
Because Mr. Sprout has set out to inspire children to reach great
heights through these biographical songs, he's even included an
inspirational quote from each of the song's heroes. This was, perhaps,
my favorite part. There's something powerful about a good quote.
Who are the heroes sung about on this CD?
- Milton Hershey--famous candy maker
- John Muir--influential conservationist and naturalist
- Elizabeth Blackwell--first woman doctor
- Jonas Salk--developed the vaccine for polio
- Jane Addams--established the Hull House and called the "First
Lady of Peace"
- George Washington Carver--rose from slavery to become a scientist
- Wilma Rudolph--overcame severe handicaps to become a famous
- Thomas Jefferson--author of the Declaration of Independence
and President of the United States, among other things
- Pocahontas--Native American who inspired peace between her
people and the English settlers
- Cesar Chavez--helped improve lives of America's poorest workers
As you can see, the list is varied in time period, talent, and
background. I believe this purposefully shows the history of our
nation to be a place for any and all who might rise up to make
a difference. Although not a Christian CD, there is a thread of
Christianity in some of the quotes and in the message throughout
to be all you were made to be.