From the Tree to the Table: A Maple Syrup Story
Does cabin fever have you wondering why you ever decided to homeschool in the first place? Break up the monotony of the winter with a unit study on maple syrup & learn science, math and more!
Does cabin fever have you wondering why you ever decided to homeschool in the first place? Does the 3 feet of snow outside your door feel more and more like an insurmountable wall? Would you be willing to sacrifice a mocha latte for just a teensy sign that spring is on its way? Presenting (drum roll, please!) . . . a unit study with the potential to bring a multi-age group of learners closer to gaining new knowledge of science, history, geography, math, and more:
From the Tree to the Table: A Maple Syrup Story—A WeE-book™ By Tara Lynn Osburn
From the Tree to the Table presents “syruping” in a multi-subject style that has you practically tasting the sticky liquid as you study:
- Science – discover maple leaves, sap, sugar density, and ecology
- History – follow the change in maple syrup production from long ago to today
- Geography – learn how your location makes all the difference in the process
- Math – learn about the percentages and ratios and temperatures involved
- Language arts – uncover rich literature while learning about maple syrup
- Health – find out the health benefits of this wonderful liquid
- Home economics – experiment with recipes
- Spelling and vocabulary – learn new words associated with the production
- Art – hone your artistic skills as you draw out the process
Add the activity pages and a glossary and you will be well-versed in the age-old process of producing maple syrup!